Plex is a service to watch live TV, movies, and TV shows for free. It features award-winning movies, cult classic films, anime, documentaries, kids-friendly cartoons, etc. Plex also consists of exclusive originals from Lionsgate, AMC, A+E, and more. Plex also allows users to add their own media like videos, music, photos, etc. It is accessible on devices like Apple TV, Android TV, Firestick, Android, Chromecast, iOS, etc. Besides all these devices, you can add Plex on Roku from the Roku Channel.
- It has more than 200+ live TV channels including Spanish language networks.
- Watch over 50,000+ on-demand movies and shows.
- You can access trending TV shows, news, podcasts, etc.
- Easily set up DVR to record live podcasts.
- It brings personalized video news from 190+ trusted publishing partners of the world.
Plex is an ad-supported streaming service. You can stream Plex ad-free by getting its subscription pack called Plex Pass.
- Monthly Plex Pass – $4.99/mo
- Annual Pass – $39.99/yr
- Lifetime Pass – $119.99
Plex Supported Roku Devices
The following is the list of Roku devices that are compatible with the Plex app.
- Roku devices (2017 model or above)
- Roku 2 (model 4210)
- Roku 3 (model 4200, 4230)
- Roku 4 (model 4400)
- Roku Premiere (model 4620)
- Roku Premiere+ (model 4630)
- Roku Stick (model 3600)
- Roku Ultra (model 4640)
- Roku TV
- Roku 4K UHD TV
How to Get Plex on Roku
Plex is officially available on Roku Channel Store so installing the app on Roku is very simple.
1. Once you have connected Roku to a Wi-Fi network, press the Home key on the Roku remote.
2. Select Streaming Channels to open the Roku Channel Store.
3. Hover to click on the Search Channels option.
4. Type Plex using the virtual keyboard, and choose the same from the suggestions.
5. Click on Add Channel to install the app on Roku.
6. Now, the Plex app will be added to your streaming device.
Note: If you are looking for an alternative to Plex, you should install Kodi on Roku to access IPTV services and much more.
How to Activate Plex on Roku
Upon installation, you need to activate Plex to start using the app.
1. Open the Plex channel from the Roku home screen.
2. Provide the login details to sign in to your Plex account.
3. You will see an activation code on the Roku screen.
4. Visit https://www.plex.tv/link/ using a mobile or PC browser.
5. Sign in to your Plex account and enter the activation code you have.
6. If the Plex account is validated, you can start streaming movies and TV shows.
Alternate Way to Stream Plex on Roku
You can also screen mirror Plex from an Android smartphone if you have a strong WIFI network.
Before that, you should turn on a few settings to use this feature on Roku.
Go to Settings → Tap System → Select Screen Mirroring → Choose Screen Mirroring mode → Select Prompt or Always Allow option.
Later, follow these steps to mirror the Plex app from your smartphone.
1. Connect your Roku TV and Android smartphone to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. Install the Plex app on your Android device from the Google Play Store.
3. Pull up the notification panel on your Android device and tap on Cast.
4. Now, select your Roku device from the list of available devices.
5. Your smartphone screen is mirrored to the Roku TV.
5. Then, open the Plex app and sign in to your account.
6. Stream your favorite entertainment content using a cast feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can install and use Plex on Roku for free. If necessary, you can buy a Plex Pass.
Open the Plex app on your Roku device. After that, go to Settings and click on Account. Then click the Sign out option to log out.
You can follow basic troubleshooting methods like restarting the WIFI router, reinstalling the Plex app, updating the Roku OS, or checking the Plex servers to fix if Plex is not working.