AirPlay is a casting feature of Apple products. This allows you to stream, control, and share media from your iPhone, iPad, and Mac to supported streaming devices. Also, with the latest models of your Roku device or TV, you will receive an in-built AirPlay feature. With that feature, you can wirelessly stream audio and video to Roku from iPhone, iPad, or Mac. So, if you are interested, the following section will help you with setting up the AirPlay on Roku.
AirPlay on Roku: Supported Models
AirPlay feature is only available on certain Roku models. So, here is the list of Roku devices and TV models that support AirPlay.
The following devices should run on Roku OS 9.5 or higher for the AirPlay to work.
- Roku TV
- Roku Streambar
- Roku Streambar Pro
- Roku Smart Soundbar
- Roku Streaming Stick+
- Roku Express 4K
- Roku Express 4K+
- Roku Premiere
- Roku premiere+
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Ultra LT
The devices mentioned below must run on Roku OS 10.0 or higher.
- Roku TV
- Roku Streaming Stick Models
- Roku Express Models
- Roku Express
- Roku Express+
- Roku HD
- Roku 2
- Roku 3
Note: If the AirPlay-supported Roku device or TV does not meet the requirements, you need to update Roku to the latest version.
How to Set Up AirPlay on Roku
1. Turn on and connect Roku to a wifi network.
2. Move to the Roku home screen.
3. Click on the Settings option.
4. Scroll down and select the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit.
5. Now, choose the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit Settings.
5. After that, navigate to AirPlay and turn it on.
How to AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad to Roku Device or TV
You can AirPlay videos, songs, photos, podcasts, or other media you would like to stream.
Pre-Requisite: To AirPlay your favorites from iPhone or iPad to Roku, you must connect your iOS device to the same wifi network as your Roku is connected to.
AirPlay from the Spotify App:
Spotify on Roku is one of the best music streaming apps. Also, Spotify is available on your iOS devices like iPhone or iPad. With it, you can easily cast your favorite music to Roku.
1. Install the Spotify app on your iPad or iPhone from the App Store.
2. Launch the Spotify app after installing it. Next, sign in to your account if required.
3. Browse and choose any music you want to listen to.
4. Next, Tap the Devices button from the bottom left Conner of the screen.
5. Select the Listening On option from the menu.
6. Tap on AirPlay or Bluetooth option.
7. Finally, tap the name of your Roku device.
Enjoy listening to music on your Roku using AirPlay.
Note: You might also be required to enter the AirPlay Passcode that is displayed on your Roku device’s display onto your iOS devices to AirPlay the content from it.
AirPlay from the Photos App:
1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap the Share button in the bottom left corner.
3. Scroll down and choose the AirPlay option.
4. Select the name of your Roku from the popup menu.
Now, the photo will appear on your Roku’s display.
From Apple Music App:
Apple Music is one of the best places for listening to podcasts. Also, you can get Apple Music on Roku. If you already have the Apple Music app on your iOS devices, you can even AirPlay the podcast to Roku from the Apple Music app.
1. Open the Apple Music app. If you haven’t installed the Apple Music app, you can install the app from the App Store.
2. Sign in to your account and search for the podcasts you want.
3. After that, select the podcast and play it.
4. Tap the AirPlay icon from the bottom of the interface.
5. Choose your Roku device from the list of available devices.
Finally, the podcast will AirPlay to Roku.
AirPlay from Streaming Services:
2. Sign in with your subscription account.
3. Choose any movie or TV show you like.
4. After that, tap the AirPlay icon.
5. From the popup menu, select your Roku device.
Now, you can stream your favorite movie or TV show via AirPlay.
How to Screen Mirror from iPhone or iPad on Roku
Make sure that your iOS devices like iPhone or iPad are connected to the same wifi network as your Roku device is connected to.
1. Open the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on the Screen Mirroring icon from the menu.
3. Tap on the name of your Roku device from the popup screen.
4. A password will appear on your Roku display.
5. Enter the password in the popup menu on your iPhone or iPad.
6. Now, your entire iPhone or iPad will display on the Roku device-connected TV.
How to AirPlay from Mac to Roku
There are two ways that you can use to mirror your Mac display to Roku. They are:
- Using the Screen Mirroring
- Via AirPlay
Screen Mirror Mac to Roku
Update Mac to the latest version and follow the steps below:
1. Make sure that you have enabled the Airplay on Roku.
2. Connect both Mac and Roku to the same wifi network.
3. Next, on the menu bar on your Mac, click on the Control Center.
4. Click on the Screen Mirroring icon and choose your Roku device from the available devices list.
5. Finally, your Mac’s screen will mirror to your Roku device-connected TV.
AirPlay Mac to Roku
Some of the streaming services like Amazon Prime Video and Hulu have a web version. Even the web version of these streaming services supports AirPlay. That means you can use this feature to AirPlay your favorite content to Roku.
1. Open the Safari browser on your Mac.
3. Sign in to your account and stream the content you want.
4. Click on the AirPlay icon in the video playback controls section.
5. This icon will be present at the top right or left corner of the interface, depending on the site.
6. Finally, select your Roku device from the menu.
7. Now, your favorite content will appear on Roku via AirPlay.
AirPlay on Roku: Troubleshooting Tips
Many users have complained that the AirPlay is not working on Roku. This is due to some bugs in your Roku device. So, if that’s the case, here are some methods that will help you to solve the issues.
Restart your Roku
You can restart Roku as it can solve a wide variety of problems that takes place while using AirPlay. To Restart Roku, you can go to your Roku Settings > System > System Restart > Restart.
Restart your router or modem
AirPlay is connected with Roku with the help of wifi; this wifi connection or network issues may be the reason for the problems. So, if Restarting Roku doesn’t help the cause, you can restart your modem or router to clear the temporary issues.
The above methods can be followed while facing network issues.
Resetting Roku will help you to solve the problem or issues that take place. This can clear the issues that appear while sharing or streaming some videos.
Make sure the devices are connected to the same network
If any issues take place while using AirPlay on Roku, kindly make sure that the devices are connected to the same network. This may also cause an issue while sharing data.
Check the AirPlay Option
Whenever Sharing or streaming, make sure that the AirPlay option should be turned on. So, make sure that you enable the AirPlay option each time when you are going to AirPlay to Roku from iOS devices.
Update your Roku device
You can update your Roku device if it is not updated to the latest version. This process helps you to clear network issues in streaming other devices. Updating helps you to get more features to transfer or stream videos.
You can activate the AirPlay on Roku from Settings > Apple AirPlay and HomeKit > Apple AirPlay and HomeKit Settings > AirPlay. Next, navigate to AirPlay and turn it on.
Yes, you can AirPlay on Roku. But you have to turn on the AirPlay option from the Roku Settings.