YouTube is a popular streaming service that can be accessed by anyone by creating a Google account. It allows you to stream various types of content with different qualities. While streaming YouTube on Roku, some users find the app not working, opening, crashing, and other issues. Since the issue happens due to technical reasons. However, you can fix this issue easily by following the fixable troubleshooting methods.
Why is YouTube Working on Roku?
The reasons for YouTube not working on Roku are many, yet it is hard to conclude. The possible causes for the issues are cache files, outdated apps or devices, improper internet connection, server issues, and more.
|YouTube Content not Playing/ not Loading on Roku/ Buffering||• Check the Internet Connection|
• Check YouTube-Server status
• Sign out and sign in YouTube account
• Update the YouTube channel
• Uninstall and Reinstall YouTube
• Disable VPN on Roku
|YouTube Sound Problem/ Audio Issues||• Update YouTube |
• Restart YouTube
• Restart Roku
• Check Internet Speed
|YouTube not opening on Roku/ Can’t access YouTube on Roku/ can’t log in||• Check the Internet Connection|
• Check YouTube-Server
• Reinstall YouTube
• Update YouTube
• Sign Out and Sign In YouTube account
• Clear Cache on Roku
• Restart Roku
• Update the Roku device
• Factory Reset Roku
|YouTube Crashing/ YouTube Flickering||• Update the Roku device|
• Restart the Roku device
• Clear Cache on Roku
• Reinstall YouTube
• Update the YouTube Channel on Roku
• Factory Reset Roku
|YouTube Screen Frozen on Roku||• Restart Roku|
• Clear Cache Files
• Reboot YouTube
Check Internet Connection
The Internet is the key factor while streaming content online. If your Roku device is providing an unstable internet connection, you cannot stream the YouTube app. Check out the internet requirements of YouTube in the following to avoid the not working problem on Roku.
|Video Resolution||Required Internet|
So, you need to check your internet speed on Roku to check whether it’s meeting the internet requirements.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote and choose Settings.
2. Choose Network and select Check Connection to check your signal strength and internet download speed.
3. Click About to review the Internet download speed and Signal Strength.
If your device is receiving a poor internet connection, you can speed up the internet connection by restarting the WiFi router.
(1) Unplug the Power Cable of the WiFi router and Roku device from the power outlet.
(2) Wait for 3-5 minutes.
(3) Now, plug in the Power Cable of the WiFi router and Roku device.
(4) Turn on the Roku device and connect Roku to the WiFi.
(5) Now, you will receive an internet connection as much as faster.
Check YouTube Server
If the internet connection is not the problem, then you need to check whether the YouTube server is down or not. The server of the YouTube service should be stable to stream the content seamlessly without any interruption. If there is any issue with the server, it has to be resolved by the streaming app developer team. You have no working solution for this issue rather than waiting patiently. You can use the Downdetector website to check the server status. Also, you can visit the social media pages of YouTube for server updates.
Check YouTube Subscription/ Login details
YouTube is a freemium streaming service, and you cannot access premium content without an active subscription. The content on the YouTube app will fail to load for premium users when you try to stream with an expired subscription. If there is any issue in streaming, you need to check your current subscription validity immediately. If you have found that your current subscription has expired, renew it immediately to fix the [app name] not loading problem on Roku.
Sign out and sign in YouTube Account
Sometimes the app might get caught with temporary errors that may act as a hindrance to loading content. Now, go to your account section on the app and log out of your YouTube account. Then restart the app and log in to your YouTube account again. This will clear the temporary bugs on your app and the device. After logging in, check whether the fix has solved the YouTube not loading problem on your Roku.
Update YouTube Channel on Roku
An outdated version of the app can cause many troubles. If your YouTube channel is outdated, then it might show you a not working error, crash, and sometime won’t play on Roku. You can update the app through the menu on the home screen.
1. On the Channels section, navigate and highlight the YouTube app.
2. Now, press the * (Asterisk) button on Roku Remote.
3. From the list of options, select the Check for updates option.
4. If there is any update available, your Roku device will update YouTube to the latest version.
Uninstall and Reinstall YouTube App
You can uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app on your device to fix the YouTube content not playing issue. By reinstalling the app on your device, you can install the current updated version of the app. Reinstallation will also eliminate the temporary bugs and corrupted cache.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote to get the home screen.
2. Navigate to the YouTube app using the direction button on the remote and press the Asterisk (*) button on your remote.
3. Choose the Remove Channel option from the popup to uninstall the YouTube app on Roku.
4. Now, go back to the home page and select the Streaming Channel option.
5. Click on Search Channels and enter YouTube using the on-screen keyboard.
6. Select the official app and click Add Channel to install the app on your Roku device.
7. Now, launch the YouTube app and log in with your account credentials.
8. Play any video on the YouTube app to check whether the problem has been solved.
Disable VPN on Roku
YouTube is a geo-restricted streaming service that you can’t access from the countries like China, North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and Turkmenistan. If you’re using a VPN that is connected to a country that is not compatible with YouTube you may face the problem of YouTube not loading or not opening. To get rid of the issues, you can disable the VPN. If your country is incompatible with the YouTube app, you need to connect the VPN to the country that supports YouTube.
Try to restart your Roku device because most of the common problems on Roku can be solved by simply restarting the Roku device. Restarting the device will also help you to fix the temporary bugs and issues on the device.
(1) Launch your Roku device and press Home on your remote.
(2) Select Settings and choose System.
(3) Choose System Restart and select Restart to restart Roku.
Clear Cache on Roku
There is a chance that the Cache stored on your Roku TV or device is the reason why YouTube is not working on Roku. So, you can clear the Cache on Roku to get rid of these issues.
1. Go to the Roku home screen and press the Home button 5 times on the Roku TV remote.
2. Next, hit the Up button once.
3. Press the Rewind button 2 times.
4. Finally, press the Fast Forward button 2 times.
The cache stored on your Roku device will be cleared. This will fix the YouTube not working on TCL, Hisense Roku TV, and other Roku devices.
Update Roku device
Roku releases updates to solve the bugs in the device, and you must update the device at regular intervals. If your Roku device is running on an outdated version, it may be one of the reasons for YouTube crash/flicker. You can update the Roku device by accessing System Settings.
1. Press the Home button on Roku remote and select the Settings option on the Home screen.
2. Choose System under Settings.
3. Select System Update and click the Check Now option
4. Now, your Roku device will check for any latest updates.
5. If there is any update available for your device, click Update Now to update the Roku device.
6. After the update, the app will work without any issues.
7. If the YouTube app is not working even after the update, you need to reset the device.
Factory Reset Roku
There can be some unresolved errors on your Roku device, which may cause the YouTube app not to open on Roku. The best possible way to fix these errors is a factory reset. You can fix factory reset your Roku device by yourself to delete everything on the device. But remember that performing the factory reset will bring back your Roku device to the default settings.
1. Go to the home screen on your Roku TV and select Settings.
2. Choose the System option and click Advanced System Settings.
3. Select Factory Reset and enter the security code of your Roku device. A security code will be displayed on the bottom right side of your screen.
4. Select OK to factory reset your Roku device.
After performing the factory reset, all the accounts, data, and channels will be removed from your Roku device. Now, you can install the YouTube app on your Roku device to check whether the not opening or working problem has been fixed or not.
Now, resolving the YouTube not working on Roku is done with the troubleshooting. You can also prevent the not working issue with frequent updates of the app and device. Along with that, you need to clear the cache and connect to a stable internet connection. In case you have some other issues with the app, mention them in the comments. Our team will respond to you with a working solution.