YouTube Kids is an excellent application just designed for kids. It is a safe platform for your kids to explore more knowledge through entertaining videos. It is filled with different kinds of videos for learning, fun, and kid-friendly designs. The YouTube Kids library is stuffed with different genres, namely Arts & Crafts, Toys & Plays, Learning & Hobbies, and Shows & Cartoons. Unfortunately, the YouTube Kids app is not available on The Roku Channel store. However, you can stream YouTube Kids via screen mirroring from your smartphone, tablet, and desktop.
YouTube Kids has many attractive features which are mentioned as follows.
Profiles of your Kid
You can create up to eight kid profiles on YouTube Kids to access video recommendations, settings, and viewing preferences. In addition, you can also select Approved Content Only from the mode.
Collections of Videos
It allows you to pick the channels from a lot of collections that your children love to watch. Hence, your kids can watch parents-approved content.
Manage the Search option
This app lets you turn on and off the search option. So that you can manage the search function that your child access. It has a video reporting factor that helps to report the video that shouldn’t be in the app.
Set a Time Limit
You can set a time limit for how long your kids can use the app. You can also block any video from your children’s profiles that they don’t want to watch anymore.
Is YouTube Kids Free
Yes, YouTube Kids is free, and there is no subscription package to access their platform. Moreover, there is no need to turn on parental controls on Roku as it offers content that is exclusive for kids.
How to Get YouTube Kids on Roku
YouTube Kids is not yet available for your Roku device. But still, you can watch YouTube Kids on Roku by screen mirroring it from the following devices.
- Using Android
- Using iOS
- From PC
Before getting in-depth, you need to enable screen mirroring on Roku. After that, you can start streaming YouTube Kids on your Roku streaming device or TV.
Quick Tip: You can enable the screen mirroring feature from Roku Settings > System > Screen Mirroring > Screen Mirroring mode. Now, choose the Prompt or Always Allow option to enable the screen mirroring feature.
Screen Mirror YouTube Kids to Roku using Android
You can use the following steps for Android devices like smartphones and tablets running on the Android OS.
1. Connect your Roku and Android devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. On your Android device, go to the Google Play Store.
3. Next, search and install the YouTube Kids app.
4. After that, launch the Notification Panel and tap on the Cast icon.
5. Now, your Android device will scan for nearby devices. From there, choose your Roku device.
6. Then, open the YouTube Kids app and sign in with your Google account.
7. You can now choose any content to mirror to your Roku.
Screen Mirror YouTube Kids to Roku using iOS
The following steps are applicable to iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads.
Note: You need to enable AirPlay on Roku to screen mirror iOS devices to Roku. Go to Settings on your Roku device → Choose Apple AirPlay and HomeKit → Turn on AirPlay.
1. Launch the YouTube Kids app on your iOS device. If you haven’t installed the YouTube Kids app, install the app from the App Store.
2. Open the YouTube Kids app and sign in with your Google account.
3. Pull down the Control Center and tap on the Screen Mirroring icon.
4. Choose your Roku device from the list of available devices.
5. If prompted, enter the passcode to continue.
5. Go back to the YouTube Kids app and it will start mirroring its content to Roku.
Screen Mirror YouTube Kids to Roku from Windows PC
1. Connect both the Roku and Windows PC to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. Hold on the Window + P keys simultaneously on your device keyboard.
3. Then click the Connect to a wireless display option and select your Roku device.
Pro Tip: Mac users, simply tap the Control Center at the top menu bar → Select Screen Mirroring → Choose your Roku device.
4. Grant permission on your Roku device to start casting.
5. Now, launch any web browser on your Windows PC and visit the official website of YouTube Kids.
6. Sign in to your account and choose any content you want to watch.
7. After that, you can enjoy watching your favorite on your Roku.
FYI: Some features like offline mode, voice search, and setting a timer are not available on the YouTube Kids website.
Yes, you can install YouTube Kids on Apple TV from the App Store.
You can fix the YouTube Kids not working issue by clearing the app cache. From your smartphone, go to Settings → Select Apps → Choose All Apps → Click on YouTube Kids → Select Storage → Tap Clear cache.
Go to my.roku.com from a browser. Then sign in to your Roku account. Select Update under the PIN Preference section. Further, select Roku Parental Control PIN preference. Finally, tap Save Changes and agree to the terms and conditions.