Since the Twitch app is removed from the Roku Channel Store, many users are experiencing performance issues while streaming. Some Roku users face Twitch not loading, not working, crashing, and many issues on their TV and devices. If you are facing the same trouble from the Twitch app on Roku, you can follow the troubleshooting steps to fix this not working issue.
Why is Twitch not Working on Roku?
The reasons for Twitch not working on Roku are many, yet it is hard to conclude. The possible causes for the issues are cache files, outdated apps or devices, improper internet connection, server issues, and more.
|Twitch Content not Playing/ not Loading on Roku/ Buffering||• Check the Internet Connection|
• Check Twitch Server
• Check the Twitch Subscription plan
• Sign out and sign in Twitch account
• Uninstall and Reinstall Twitch
• Disable VPN on Roku
|Twitch Sound Problem/ Audio Issues||• Restart the Twitch app|
• Restart Roku
• Check Internet Speed
|Twitch not opening on Roku/ Can’t access Twitch on Roku/ can’t log in||• Check the Internet Connection|
• Check the Twitch Server
• Reinstall the Twitch app
• Sign Out and Sign In Twitch account
• Clear Cache on Roku
• Restart Roku
• Update the Roku device
• Factory Reset Roku
|Twitch Crashing/ Twitch Flickering||• Update the Roku device|
• Restart the Roku device
• Clear Cache on Roku
• Reinstall the Twitch app
• Factory Reset Roku
|Twitch Frozen screen on Roku||• Restart Roku|
• Clear Cache Files
• Reboot the Twitch app
Check Internet Connection
The Internet is the key factor while streaming content online. If your Roku device is providing an unstable internet connection, you cannot stream the Twitch app. It is recommended to have a minimum of 3MB/s to stream the SD quality content and 12MB/s to stream 1080p 60FPS content. So, you need to check your internet speed on Roku.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote and choose Settings.
2. Choose Network and select Check Connection to check your signal strength and internet download speed.
3. Click About to review the Internet download speed and Signal Strength.
If your device is receiving a poor internet connection, you can speed up the internet connection by restarting the WiFi router.
(1) Unplug the Power Cable of the WiFi router and Roku device from the power outlet.
(2) Wait for 3-5 minutes.
(3) Now, plug in the Power Cable of the WiFi router and Roku device.
(4) Turn on the Roku device and connect Roku to the WiFi.
(5) Now, you will receive an internet connection as much as faster.
Check Twitch Server
If the internet connection is not the problem, then you need to check whether the Twitch server is down or not. The server of the Twitch service should be stable to stream the content seamlessly without any interruption. If there is any issue with the server, it has to be resolved by the streaming app developer team. You have no working solution for this issue rather than waiting patiently. You can use the Downdetector website to check the server status. Also, you can visit the social media pages of Twitch for server updates.
Check Twitch Subscription Plan
Twitch is a free and subscription-based streaming service that lets users access live streams on its platform. Users with Twitch subscriptions, can’t access the premium content without an active subscription. The content on the Twitch app will fail to load when you try to stream with an expired subscription. If there is any issue in streaming, you need to check your current subscription validity immediately. If you have found that your current subscription has expired, renew it immediately to fix the Twitch not loading problem on Roku.
Sign out and Sign in Twitch Account
Sometimes the app might get caught with temporary errors that may act as a hindrance to loading content. Now, go to your Twitch subscription section on the app and log out of your Twitch account. Then restart the app and log in to your Twitch account again. This will clear the temporary bugs on your app and the device. After logging in, check whether the fix has solved the Twitch not loading problem on your Roku.
Uninstall and Reinstall Twitch App
Roku users who have installed the unofficial Twitch app using a channel code can try this method to fix the not working issue. You can uninstall and reinstall the Twitch app on your device to fix the content not loading issue. By reinstalling the app on your device, you can install the current updated version of the app. Reinstallation will also eliminate the temporary bugs and corrupted cache.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote to get the home screen.
2. Navigate to the Twitch app using the direction button on the remote and press the Asterisk (*) button on your remote.
3. Choose the Remove Channel option from the popup to uninstall the Twitch app on Roku.
4. Now, open a web browser and visit the Roku website and sign in with your account.
5. Select the Manage account option and click on the Add Channel with a code option.
6. Enter TwitchTV on the respective field and tap on the Add Channel button.
7. In the next step, choose the Yes, Add Channel button on the pop-up to install the app on Roku.
8. After installing, launch the Twitch app and log in with your account.
9. Play any video on the Twitch app to check whether the problem has been solved.
Disable VPN on Roku
Twitch is a geo-restricted streaming service, then you cannot access it everywhere. If your VPN is connected to a country that is not compatible with Twitch, you may face the problem of Twitch not loading or not opening. To get rid of the issues, you can disable the VPN. If your country is incompatible with the Twitch app, you need to connect the VPN to the country that supports Twitch.
Try to restart your Roku device because most of the common problems on Roku can be solved by simply restarting the Roku device. Restarting the device will also help you to fix the temporary bugs and issues on the device.
(1) Launch your Roku device and press Home on your remote.
(2) Select Settings and choose System.
(3) Choose System Restart and select Restart to restart Roku.
Clear Cache on Roku
There is a chance that the cache stored on your Roku device is the reason why Twitch is not working on Roku. So, you can clear the Cache on Roku to get rid of these issues.
1. Go to the Roku home screen and press the Home button 5 times on the Roku TV remote.
2. Next, hit the Up button once.
3. Press the Rewind button 2 times.
4. Finally, press the Fast Forward button 2 times.
The cache stored on your Roku device will be cleared. After that, you can check the working status of the Twitch app.
Update Roku device
Roku releases updates to solve the bugs in the device, and you must update the device at regular intervals. If your Roku device is running on an outdated version, it may be one of the reasons for Twitch not working issue. You can update the Roku device by accessing System Settings.
1. Press the Home button on Roku remote and select the Settings option on the Home screen.
2. Choose System Under Settings.
3. Select System Update and click the Check Now option.
4. Now, your Roku device will check for any latest updates.
5. If there is any update available for your device, click Update Now to update the Roku device.
Factory Reset Roku
There can be some unresolved errors on your Roku device, which may cause the Twitch app to crash/flicker on Roku. The best possible way to fix these errors is a factory reset. You can fix factory reset your Roku device by yourself to delete everything on the device. But remember that performing the factory reset will bring back your Roku device to the default settings.
1. Go to the home screen on your Roku TV and select Settings.
2. Choose the System option and click Advanced System Settings.
3. Select Factory Reset and enter the security code of your Roku device. A security code will be displayed on the bottom right side of your screen.
4. Select OK to factory reset your Roku device.
After performing the factory reset, all the accounts, data, and channels will be removed from your Roku device. Now, you can install Twitch on Roku by following the above steps to check whether the not working problem has been fixed or not.
Now, resolving the Twitch not working on Roku is done with the troubleshooting. You can also fix the not working issue of Twitch in your older Roku TV devices by following the methods. Along with that, you need to clear the cache and connect to a stable internet connection. In case you have some other issues with the app, mention them in the comments. Our team will respond to you with a working solution.