Prime Video is one of the most popular subscription-based streaming services that offers a huge collection of movies and TV shows. Since Prime is officially available on Roku, you can download Prime Video on Roku directly from the Roku Channel Store. Although Amazon Prime is one of the most popular streaming services, it may not work on Roku sometimes due the technical issues and temporary bugs. If the Prime Video app on your Roku device is not working properly, you can follow the methods mentioned below to fix it by yourself.
Why Prime is Not Working on Roku
The Amazon Prime Video app on your device may not work due to many reasons, like technical problems, temporary bugs, poor internet connection, and more. Sometimes the problem may occur on your Roku device or in the Prime app, and you will get the result of Amazon Prime Video not working on Roku.
Prime Not Loading on Roku
The Amazon Prime app on your Roku will not work when it faces a lack of internet connection or an expired subscription. If the content on your Prime video is not loading on your device, you can check the internet connection, current subscription plan, and more.
How to Fix
You can fix the not-loading issue with the methods mentioned below.
Fix 1: Check the Internet Connection
If your Roku device is receiving an unstable internet connection, it will not allow your device to load the content properly. You can clear this issue by checking the internet connectivity status on your Roku device. Follow the steps mentioned below to check the internet connectivity status.
(1) Turn on your Roku device and navigate to the Settings of the device.
(2) Select the Network option and hit Check Connection to check the speed of the internet connection and signal strength.
Fix 2: Check the Subscription of your Prime Account
Amazon Prime is a subscription-based streaming service, and you cannot access Prime Video without an active subscription. The content on your Prime account will fail to load when you try to stream with an expired subscription. If the videos on your Prime account fail to load the content, you can check your current subscription immediately. If you have found that your current subscription has expired, renew it immediately to fix the Prime not loading problem on Roku.
Fix 3: Disable the VPN on Your Roku Device
Amazon Prime is banned in many countries like China, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and more. If you have connected the VPN to the Prime-banned countries, it will not load the content. As a result, you will be prompted with a black screen or error code. You can disable the VPN if Prime is legal in your country. If Prime is unavailable in your location, you can try to connect the VPN to the countries where Prime is legal to stream. By disabling the VPN or connecting the VPN to the right country, you can fix the not loading problem.
Fix 4: Sign Out from Amazon Prime on Roku
There is also a chance that a glitch was caused while you signed in with your Amazon Prime Video account. But it will be only a temporary issue. However, the issue can be resolved easily. But if you like to fix the issue immediately, you need to sign out of the Amazon Prime Video app and sign in back again.
Amazon Prime Not Opening on Roku
You cannot open the Prime app on your device if your device is affected by temporary bugs or the server of Prime Video may go down.
How to Fix
You can fix the Prime not opening problem on your device by checking the internet connection and reinstalling the app.
Fix 1. Check your Internet Connection
The Internet is the key factor while streaming content online. If your device is providing an unstable internet connection, you cannot stream the videos on the Prime app. Amazon Prime suggests a minimum of 1MB/s to stream the SD content and 5MB/s to stream the HD content. You can speed up the internet connection by power cycling the internet router.
(1) Unplug the Power Cable of the WiFi router and Roku device from the power outlet.
(2) Wait for 3-5 minutes.
(3) Now, plug in the Power Cable of the WiFi router and Roku device.
(4) Turn on the Roku device and connect Roku to the WiFi.
(5) Now, you will receive an internet connection as much as faster.
Fix 2: Check the Server of Amazon Prime
If you have found that the problem is with the server of Amazon Prime, then you need to wait for a few hours until the problem is solved by the technical team of Amazon. Since the server down is a major problem, it cannot be fixed by the user themself. You can check the status of the server by visiting third-party websites like Downdector. Once the server-down problem is fixed by the technical team of Amazon, you will get an official notification from Prime’s social media page on Twitter, Facebook, and more.
Fix 3: Re-Install Amazon Prime Video
You can uninstall the reinstall the Prime app on your device to fix the not opening issue. By reinstalling the app on your device, you can install the current updated version of the app. Reinstalling the app will also eliminate the temporary bugs and corrupted cache. Follow the steps mentioned below to reinstall the Prime app on Roku.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote and press the Right arrow button.
2. Navigate to the Prime Video app and press the Asterisk (*) button on your remote.
3. Choose the Remove Channel option from the popup to uninstall the app on Roku.
4. Now, go back to the home page and select the Streaming Channel option.
5. Click on Search Channels and enter Amazon Prime using the on-screen keyboard.
6. Select the official app and click the +Add Channel button to install the app on your Roku device.
7. Now, launch the Prime app and log in with your account credentials.
8. Play any video on the Prime app. The problem might have been solved now.
Fix 4: Update Amazon Prime
Another reason your Amazon Prime Video is not working on your Roku is that you might not have updated the Prime app to the latest version. You can update the apps on Roku by connecting to the internet connection.
Prime App Keeps on Crashing Down
If your Roku device is corrupted with the temporary cache, it will not allow the app to perform properly.
How to Fix
You can fix the crashing problem on your Roku by clearing the cache on Roku, updating the Roku device, restarting the Roku, and resetting Roku.
Fix 1: Update your Roku device
If your Roku device is running on an outdated version, it may be one of the reasons for crashing. You can update the Roku device by connecting to a stable internet connection. By updating the Roku device, you can fix most of the problems. Follow the steps mentioned below to update the Roku app.
1. Power on both your Roku–connected TV.
2. Press the Home button and select the Settings option.
3. Choose System Under Settings.
4. Select System Update and hit the Check Now option.
6. Now, your Roku device will check for any latest updates.
7. If your device is available for update, click the Update Now button to update the Roku device.
8. The problem of Amazon Prime not working on your Roku device might have been resolved.
Fix 2: Restart your Roku device
Restarting your Roku device will always help you to fix all the internal issues with your Roku device, and this may also help you to solve the issues with the Amazon Prime app.
1. Go to Settings on the Roku home screen.
2. Then, choose the System option.
3. Navigate to System Restart and select it.
4. After that, choose the Restart option.
Finally, your Roku device will turn off and turn on automatically.
Fix 3: Factory Reset Roku
There can be some errors on your Roku device, which may cause the Prime Video app not working on your Roku. You can fix the error on Roku by yourself by factory resetting your Roku device. But remember that performing the factory reset will bring back your Roku device to the initial stage.
1. Turn on your Roku TV and press the home button on your Roku remote.
2. Select Settings and choose the System option.
3. Click Advanced System Settings on the next page.
4. Select Factory Reset and enter the security code of your Roku device.
5. A security code will be displayed on the bottom right side of your screen.
6. Select OK to Factory Reset your Roku device.
7. After performing the factory reset, all the accounts, data, and channels will be removed from your Roku device.
8. Now, you can install the Amazon Prime app on your Roku device to check whether the not working problem has been fixed or not.
Contact the Customer Support
If none of the methods mentioned above helps you to fix the problem of Prime Video not working on Roku, you can contact the Customer Support of Roku all well as access the live chat page of Amazon to get a certified solution regarding Amazon Prime not working on the Roku issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the Prime app is compatible only with Roku device models such as Roku 2, Roku 3, Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere+, and Roku Ultra.
Your internet connection may be unstable because you need a stable internet connection to stream Prime video seamlessly.