HBO Now was a subscription-based video-on-demand streaming service. It was founded in October 2014 and owned by HBO, a subsidiary of WarnerMedia. Unlike HBO GO, you do not need to have a TV provider subscription for HBO Now because it is a standalone service that targets cord-cutters. As a result, it mainly competes with other streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming services. HBO Now got succeeded by HBO Max. You can check the section below to watch HBO Now on Roku.
Important Note: HBO Now got succeeded by HBO Max. So, you will need to get HBO Max on Roku.
How to Watch HBO Now on Roku
Since there is no official HBO Now app on Roku, you can not add HBO Now on any Roku device. But, you can install HBO Max on Roku and use your HBO Now account details on HBO Max to sign in. You can also Cast HBO Now on Roku using HBO Now official website.
Steps to Add HBO Max on Roku
(1) Launch your Roku device and press Home on your Roku remote.
(2) Select Streaming Channels and choose Search Channels.
(3) Enter HBO Max on the search bar using the on-screen keyboard.
(4) Choose the HBO Max app from the search results and select Add Channel.
(5) Select OK to add the HBO Max channel on Roku.
(6) You can now use the HBO Now login details to stream HBO Max.
Steps to Add HBO Max on Roku using the Roku Channel Store
(1) Turn on your PC, select your browser, and enter in the search bar as Roku Channel Store.
(2) Select the official Roku Channel Store website.
(3) Click on Sign in and enter your Roku account details.
(4) In the search channel bar, enter HBO Max and press Enter.
(5) Choose HBO Max from the search results.
(6) Select Add Channel to download the channel on your Roku.
Related: How to Add Red Bull TV on Roku TV Devices
Bonus: How to Screen Mirror HBO Now on Roku
You can use the following steps to activate screen mirroring on Roku:
(1) Turn on your Roku device.
(2) Press the Home key on your remote and select Settings.
(3) Select Systems and choose Screen Mirroring.
(4) Choose the Screen mirroring mode and select either Prompt or Always Allow to allow screen mirroring on Roku.
Cast HBO Now on Roku from HBO Now Website
Ensure that the screen mirroring option on Roku is activated and connect your Roku device and desktop to the same Wi-Fi network.
(1) Open a browser on your PC to search for HBO Now.
(2) Choose the HBO Now official website from the search result.
(3) Click on Sign in and enter the HBO Now login details.
(4) Select Customize and control Google Chrome or select the three parallel dots on the upper right corner of the screen.
(5) Click on Cast and choose your Roku device from the list of available devices.
(6) The contents on your mobile screen get mirrored onto your Roku device.
(7) Select the videos and enjoy watching them on Roku.
Screen Mirror HBO Max from Smartphones
Check whether the screen mirroring option on Roku is activated and use the following steps to screen mirror from your smartphone.
(1) Connect your Roku device and Smartphone to the same Wi-Fi network.
(2) Select the HBO Max app to launch it. You can also install it from Play Store.
(3) Select the shows you want to watch and click on the Cast icon.
(4) Your Smartphone screen gets mirrored to your Roku device. You can enjoy watching them on Roku.
Sadly, HBO Now was dissolved in December 2020. However, if you have subscribed to an HBO Now account, you can use that account on HBO Max till the end of the subscription. HBO Max is the successor of HBO Now, so your account on HBO Now will be valid on HBO Max until there is an official announcement from HBO that HBO Now accounts are not valid on HBO Max.
Frequently Asked Questions
(1) Can I watch HBO Now on Roku?
No, because the app has been updated to HBO Max.
(2) Why can’t I get HBO Now on Roku?
If you haven’t updated your Roku device recently, you won’t get HBO Now on Roku.
(3) How much is HBO Max on Roku?
The standard version is about $9.99 per month, and the ad-free version is approximately $14.99 per month.